Sunday 9 September 2012

I'm a noob again.


As you may recall, my wife and I decided that she and the children would move to the country to give our children the lifestyle we wanted for them while I continued to work in the city for the time being. Having just returned from a two week visit, I am happy to say that they are thriving, and the past fortnight has helped reassure me that the choices we have made have indeed been the right ones. But they do make for some odd contrasts.

Two days ago, for example, I was culling our first batch of ducks and preparing them for the freezer. I'd just finished repairing the roof on the turkey shed, and I'd scratch built a couple of doghouses for the dogs they are breeding.

Today, on the other hand, I played internet space ships.

It wasn't just the contrast between the very real world by family now lives in and the artificial world that I work in that made me feel like a noob all over again, though. EvE has changed. Much of what I thought I knew about frigates has been shaken up. My rockets have all been renamed. Even gate guns have apparently moved on without me.

This, I feel, is good. It's good because it drives home the fact that I don't have a clue what I'm doing with my new class of ship, and it will make me eager to learn rather than just treat the Arbitrator as an oversized frigate. That could get expensive, fast.

Although I had a number of Arbitrator hulls delivered to me, my efforts to turn a profit (and my natural loathing of clutter) meant that my hangar did not have any suitable modules for a hull I had never flown before. Instead, I settled for a short Interceptor roam (I did not find anything) which allowed me to refamiliarise myself with my home systems a little.

After my roam, I moved my alt back to Jita. Tomorrow I shall buy some Arbitrator modules, and start shipping them back to Hevrice.


2 comments:

  1. Check out the new drone upgrade mods for low slot. Add in a large ASB (new module for shields) and you have yourself a very nice drone boat for the Amarr. I have my alt flying one right now, but with t1 drones cuz he's a newb, and it really is an amazing ship for a new character to get into; or a returning player to refresh himself =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I look forward to reading about your continuing exploits. -Reimon Jeh

    ReplyDelete