Monday 7 March 2011

Punisher 9


The fit:

3 Gatling Pulse Lasers 2 (Navy Multifrequency & Scorch)
5W Infectious Power Malfunction

Cold-gas Arcjet Thrusters
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Inhibitor

Small Armor Repair System 1
Adaptive Nano Plating 2
Damage Control 2
200mm Rolled Tungsten

My "traditional" gatling pulse fit. I prefer it to the DLP fit, but as I have a dozen or so DLP II stashed about, you will probably see a mix of the two.



The hunt:

I was bouncing around the backwaters of Molden Heath, getting to know the area and making safe spots, when I came to a system with a few ships in local. Wanted to see who was around, so I warped to an asteroid belt to run a scan (I had no hunting safes in the system at that point).

When I came out of warp (not at zero) I attracted the attention of a couple of rats. It took me a moment to realise that, though, as my overview does not include npcs on my usual tab (I'm not hunting for them, and they can make things pretty cluttered).

By  the time I realised that what was going on, they were on top of me. Not a big deal, and certainly nothing I could not handle. However, that was the moment a Rupture decided to warp in.

Of course, I noticed him right away, and I decided that this was not the way I wanted to start a fight, so I tried to warp out.

And that's when I learned that when the security rating of a system gets low enough, the rats carry points.

Knowing that I could not eliminate the rats before the Rupture's point came online, I turned into the Rupture and approached obliquely. I managed to get into a tight orbit, and throughout the fight his guns were largely useless. His Warrior IIs, however, were enough to get him there.

I warped out in my pod, dropping a "gf" in local, that went unanswered.  I soon found out why - as far as he was concerned, the fight was not yet over.

Now in this particular system there was a very obvious route to high sec. I had warped to my gate safe before warping to the gate itself, and I immediately saw that the Rupture had warped right onto the gate to try and grab my pod. If I had warped directly to the gate, he probably would have got me, too.

As it was, I simply waited while he took a pounding from the gate guns. Eventually he had to warp away, and I warped into the gate, and was on my way to high sec and safety.

Victim: Taurean Eltanin
Corp: Strategic Conflicts Incorporated
Alliance: Unknown
Faction: Unknown
Destroyed: Punisher
System: Illamur
Security: 0.3
Damage Taken: 2526


Involved parties:

Name: Soku Linchen (laid the final blow)
Security: 1.8
Corp: prtschft
Alliance: NONE
Faction: NONE
Ship: Rupture
Weapon: Warrior II
Damage Done: 2182

Name: Angel Predator / Archangels
Damage Done: 344

Destroyed items:

Gatling Pulse Laser II
200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Imperial Navy Multifrequency S, Qty: 2
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Proton S (Cargo)
Small Armor Repairer II
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I


Dropped items:

Gatling Pulse Laser II, Qty: 2
Damage Control II
Imperial Navy Multifrequency S
Phased Plasma S (Cargo)
Scorch S, Qty: 3 (Cargo)
Fusion S (Cargo)
5W Infectious Power System Malfunction
Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters



Post battle review:

The fight started with a mistake on my part; I warped to a belt. Now, not being a pve type, I did not know that some rats could point you, so it was a case of ignorance rather than overlooking what I already knew. In the future, though, if I want to check out some belts on the scanner, and I have no hunting safe, I will warp to the planet, not the belt.

That being said, I think I handled myself pretty well. I didn't panic, I took the correct action by moving to minimise his damage, and I got my pod out. After the fight I kept my head and warped to my gate safe rather than to the gate, and probably avoided podding as a result.

Again, though, I am starting to notice certain patterns in my fights, and I will comment more on those in the upcoming 2nd quarter review.


Lessons for the future:

There is no need to ever warp to a lowsec belt unless you already know there is a target there.

2 comments:

  1. I lost a Sentinel not too long ago because I also did not have NPCs on my overview. I warped into a faction warfare mission to catch a bomber. A few seconds later I exploded. Live and learn...

    Rats can also come at very inconvenient times. I lost a target once because some of them warped in and decided that I should be jammed. Derp. : >

    Damn rats.

    Have you considered trying autocannons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I trained up to small projectiles iv to give them a try. Punishers 3 through 5, I think.

    I talked about the theory here: http://flight-of-dragons.blogspot.com/2011/02/lasers-v-autocannon.html

    I also discuss my move away from projectiles here: http://flight-of-dragons.blogspot.com/2011/02/punisher-plan-1st-quarter-review.html

    ReplyDelete