Friday 11 March 2011

Punisher 11


I really debated whether or not to post anything today; I didn't want to bump my poll off the top of the page. However, six days is a really long time to not post, so while I probably won't post every day, I won't stop posting altogether. Towards the end of the 6 days I'll take a closer look at the results and some of the comments in a follow-up post.

If you have not voted for one of my skill plans, though, please do so! You can find it one post down.


The fit:

3 Dual Light Pulse II (Navy Multifrequency & Scorch)
5W Infectious Power Malfunction

Cold-gas Arcjet Thrusters
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Inhibitor

Small I-a Polarized Armor Regenerator
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Damage Control II
200mm Rolled Tungsten

I knew who I would be fighting when I put this fit together, and the last time we clashed I lost the damage race with my GPL, so I thought I would try a DLP fit this time.


The hunt:

I had arranged a remach against FiestyOne's Tristran, and we met in system for our duel. As before, we agreed to warp to the sun, and start at once.

A simple plan, but one that still had room to go.... sideways.

Mid warp FiestyOne spotted something in the scanner in the direction of the warp-in (I was really impressed by this, and I can't help but feel that this is a mark of a real pro - narrow beam scans mid warp to see what is waiting for you. Awesome stuff.). I can't remember what it was at this point, but it was something like a Daredevil. So she suggested that we immediately warp out and choose a new location.

The trouble is that I was so busy mentally preparing myself for the duel that I was not reading the private chat, so when we landed, I immediately opened fire on FiestyOne, just as we had originally planned. I only noticed that something was wrong when she was not firing back. That's when I read the chat log, so I switched off my guns and stopped trying to kite.

In the mean time, it seems that the Daredevil had decided to bail when two frigs appeared on overview (one of them flashy red), and given that I had started shooting, FeistyOne decided that we might as well go at it, and she burned towards me and opened fire.

Seeing this, I began firing as well, but by this time FeistyOne was well into her optimal and the higher dps blasters meant that she once again won the damage race, despite my attempts to overheat the DLP to compensate.

Victim: Taurean Eltanin
Corp: Strategic Conflicts Incorporated
Alliance: Unknown
Faction: Unknown
Destroyed: Punisher
System: Atlar
Security: 0.4
Damage Taken: 2749
 

Involved parties:
 

Name: FeistyOne (laid the final blow)
Security: -9.9
Corp: Twisted Inc.
Alliance: NONE
Faction: NONE
Ship: Tristan
Weapon: Hobgoblin II
Damage Done: 2749
 

Destroyed items:
 

200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Imperial Navy Multifrequency S, Qty: 2
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Phased Plasma S (Cargo)
Scorch S (Cargo)
Dual Light Pulse Laser II
Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters


Dropped items:
 

Damage Control II
Imperial Navy Multifrequency S
Small I-a Polarized Armor Regenerator
Scorch S, Qty: 2 (Cargo)
Proton S (Cargo)
Dual Light Pulse Laser II, Qty: 2
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Scrambler I



Post battle review:

Both of us agreed that the fight had been a real shambles, but in fairness, FeistyOne was always the favorite. She's a damn good pilot, and she has loads of relevant skill points. While I think I would have done better without the confusion, it would be petty of me to try and excuse my loss away based on that.

The duel was not without lessons, though. I should not have been ignoring my chat channels, even if there was a fight on. I know that most low sec pilots monitor the local channel during fights so they can spot help arriving before it lands on grid. I need to start doing the same.

I should also have been more decisive. If I was going to fight, I needed to keep fighting until there was a clear agreement that we would stop. If I was going to stop, I needed to stay stopped. Either course would have been preferable to what actually happened.


Lessons for the future:

This has been a timely reminder that I have a great deal to learn. While some of my fights go according to script (and I win or lose based on my skill distribution), I still don't have the range of experience to respond properly when things go off script.

I intend to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment