Friday 25 February 2011

Punisher 6.4


The fit:

3 Dual Light Pulse 2 (Navy Multifrequency & Scorch)
5W Infectious Power Malfuction

Cold-gas Arcjet Thrusters
J5b Phased Prototype Warp Inhibitor

Small Armor Repair System 1
Adaptive Nano Plating 2
Damage Control 2
200mm Rolled Tungsten

Small Auxiliary Power Relay

Same set-up as before, but I have upgraded my mid slots and my neut. I very much like the additional performance - thanks to FNG for the recommendation.


The hunt:

My failure to engage any miners in the last few days had irked me, and with the locals quickly learning not to use jet-cans, my window of opportunity was drying up. A change of tactics was needed.

I dusted off my trusty Sigil and stuck two warp core stabilisers into the low slots, and a damage control. I wanted to look harmless, so turrets in the top slots were out, but I did put some neuts in. I also installed a couple of shield extenders. My thought was that if I flipped cans in what looked like a mining vessel, the other miners might actually engage, or at least take their ore back.

This being the plan, the stabs should allow me to warp back to a station (even if they had a scram) and grab my Punisher. The DC and extenders would allow me to tank moderate damage while I aligned and warped out. The neuts were an afterthought, in case I did ran into more than one point - I might be able to shut one of them off.

They say that no plan survives contact with the enemy, but this one actually did. I approached a Procurer and flipped his can, which had several tens of thousands of units in it. I dumped it all into my can, loaded up my Sigil, and warped to the station.

Just as I came out of warp, the Procurer gained that little skull icon we all love to see in high sec. Docking, I switched to my Punisher and warped back, hoping that he was still there.

He was.

The battle was very short, and a little disappointing. This was my first fight with a mining ship, and I simply crushed him. His single drone was not even backed up by any significant skill - a T2 drone and a decent tank would have at least made for the possibility that he might win, but as it was, he stood no chance.


Victim: Pavel Burlakov
Corp: RUS zeus inc.
Alliance: Unknown
Faction: Unknown
Destroyed: Procurer
System: Hilaban
Security: 0.9
Damage Taken: 566

Involved parties:

Name: Taurean Eltanin (laid the final blow)
Security: 0.3
Corp: Viziam
Alliance: NONE
Faction: NONE
Ship: Punisher
Weapon: Dual Light Pulse Laser II
Damage Done: 566

Dropped items:

Strip Miner I
Expanded Cargohold II, Qty: 2
Survey Scanner II
 
After the battle I looted his wreck and was shocked at just how much money he had plowed into his fittings. And I thought my costs were high!
 
I sent him some mail telling him that he had more guts than most of the local miners, and that he could come and get his stuff - I had left it in a jet-can. 
 
I was about to warp off, when I noticed that the other miners at the belt seemed particularly interested in the stuff I had just dropped. They were not going to do a thing while I was there, of course, but I suspected that they would scoop it the instant I left. And I was damned if I was going to give up good loot just so they could have it.

So I waited for the pilot to get back. And I waited some more. As he did not show, I convo'd him and asked him if he was coming back. I got no answer, so I explained that his stuff was worth a couple of mill, and while I did not want to leave it unattended, I also did not plan on sticking around for long.

That's when I received a notification that I had been added as a contact with negative rating. No other reply. So I took back the loot, and went on my way, feeling far less guilty about attacking a high sec miner.

I'm guessing that miners have a mining channel, because although I did not see anything in local, nobody else dared to flip one of my cans for the rest of the evening, despite my non-threatening little Sigil.


Post battle review:

There is not much to say, here, except that if this pilot was representative of what ORE miners are like in combat, I shall not be afraid to engage one again.

It also strikes me that there is no situation so bad that a poor attitude and bad manners can't make it worse. This guy could have gotten all his fittings back and, assuming he had insured his ship, have lost nothing more than a little time. But poor attitude cost him a couple of million that he did not need to spend.

I actually have another story on that point, but there are plans in motion that I don't want to reveal yet. We'll see how things work out over the next few days.


Lessons for the future:

In Eve (as in life?), being a victim is as much an attitude and state of mind as anything else. This guy did not have to jet-can mine (he is greedy), he did not have to use a ship which is seemingly incapable of combat (he is greedy), and, knowing the previous two points, he did not have to steal back the ore I had taken from him (he is greedy). Finally, he did not need to be there when I got back (he is stupid).

Dead miners. Three parts greed, one part stupid.

3 comments:

  1. In his defense, he may've thought you were luring him into a trap. "Here, have your stuff back," he takes the (still yellow) can, and goes POP again. Less noble piwate: "el-oh-el whatta MAROON! Can't believe he fell for that! oh sweet tears nom-nom-nom!!!"
    At least he didn't smack you, ne?

    Found your blog off the forums. Good reading. Going to build a stack of Tristans (one thing about having good industry skills: I can make my own stuff--just costs time ;-) ) and try this plan out.
    Keep up the good work, I'll keep reading. :-)

    (ingame: Hong WeiLoh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the defense of miners, You NEVER deal with a can flipper. I actually keep a log of every person who has ever aggressed or flipped so I can watch for them outside of my ORE ship or barge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading through all of your Blog, and your work and posts are greatly appreciated. But as the others above, and as mostly a peaceful miner myself to this point, I want to both applaud you for the best of intentions after the kill, and to defend your victim. He was playing his idea of fun in Eve, and that did not involve taking anything from you. You were playing your idea of fun, and that meant you took his fun from him. Totally fair, np here, but you lost when you took the public blog shot at him imo.

    ReplyDelete